Presented For Sale By:
Presented For Sale By:
|Length||35 ft / 10.74 m|
|Location||Stonington, Connecticut, United States|
|LOA||35 ft 3 in / 10.74 m|
|Length at Water Line||30 ft 6 in / 9.3 m|
|Beam||11 ft 6 in / 3.51 m|
|Max Draft||6 ft 12 in / 2.13 m|
|Total Sail Area||644 ft²|
|Cabin Headroom||6 ft 2 in / 1.88 m|
|Drive Type||Sail Drive|
|Propeller Type||2 Blade|
|Fuel Tanks||1 x 20 gal|
|Fresh Water Tanks||2 x 35 gal (Other)|
|Hull Warranty||10 years|
PIECES OF EIGHT is a fabulous J/109 - she is kept clean and tidy by a knowledgeable owner and shows better than most of her siblings as a result. She is comprehensively equipped, but only lightly raced for the last several years.
She had a new rig, standing rigging and running rigging, as well as a fresh awlgrip paint job, as a result of having a boat next to her on land fall over and damage her rig and scratch the hull. There was no structural damage other than the bent rig. She also received a new Harken roller furler at the same time, and new rudder bearings, as well as a number of other updates and regular maintenance items. The owner used the event as an opportunity to have the entire boat inspected and cared for as necessary.
We highly recommend PIECES OF EIGHT for anyone who wants to rac or cruise the J/109. She is one of the best for racing with her essential deep draft keel and new rig and rigging, and for cruising, her crisp condition makes her a real delight over many other examples that have been raced hard. Come see her, she is worth the trip.
SAIL AREA AND RIG MEASUREMENTS
IJPE : 643.00 sq ft
I : 46.50 ft
J : 13.25 ft
P : 43.25 ft
E : 15.50 ft
Working Sail Area : 644.00 sq ft
MANUFACTURER PROVIDED DESCRIPTION
The J/109 features the popular carbon fiber retractable bowsprit and asymmetric spinnaker system and a versatile 2-cabin interior layout with standing headroom. She is designed with a very low VCG, long waterline, and generous sail plan with the horsepower for competitive racing and stability for relaxed cruising when the racing crew is not aboard.
The J/109 fits within the current J/Boat sprit range as a stable, easy-to-sail performance boat with the interior volume necessary for comfortable cruising and a great dual purpose deck layout. The sleek profile and generous sailplan give one an immediate sense of the speed potential of the J/109. The hull profile reveals a long waterline, low wetted surface and a low VCG fin keel (7 feet), designed for excellent stability when sailing short-handed.
The deck/cockpit layout is a cross between the J/105 and J/120, the two J/stable-mates that clearly bracket the targeted market for the J/109. Sail handling systems follow the J philosophy of keeping things easy. Halyards and reef lines are cockpit led, mainsheet controls are within reach of the wheel, and inboard sheeting tracks permit the use of both overlapping and non-overlapping headsails.
There is ample on-deck stowage, thanks to the removable transom locker, cockpit seat locker and a bow compartment large enough for both the anchor rode and the asymmetric spinnaker.
The interior is European-style with two private sleeping cabins and an option for a pull-out double in the large main cabin. The L-shaped galley includes a double sink, 2-burner propane stove and a pressure water system. The nav station is a large sit-down forward-facing console with abundant space for instrument displays. The head is conveniently located aft near the companionway, providing easy access from the cockpit while underway.
PIECES OF EIGHT was ordered with the following options:
- Removable dock box (aft of hem)
- Two-tone decks
- 4 bookshelves and cupboards in main cabin
- Wood lining (ceilings) on sides of main and forward cabins
- Opening ports facing aft
- Opening ports in main cabin
- Marina Package: 110 AC shore power with cable
- DC refrigeration
- 3rd battery
- Cockpit shower
OTHER NOTABLE RECENT ADDITIONS:
- New main, 2015, North Sails, with slugs
- All sails inspected annually
- New chart plotter at helm, with custom pedestal mount 2015
- Cabin sole replaced with Teak and Holly - 2015
- Lazy jack system (light weight) 2015
- Low drag line cutter installed 2015
- All head hoses and shower sump pump replaced 2015
- Raymarine AIS Transceiver 2016
- Three new batteries - 2017
- most interior lights replaced with LED 2017
- new bilge pump and wiring 2017
- headsail cover/sock 2017
- Stereo with Sirius receiver 2017
- Fresh spayed Baltoplate bottom 2018\
- NOTE: Keel sump liner factory authorized update done by Pilot's Point Marina 2007
Hull & Deck Construction:
- Baltek Contourkore end grained balsa composite construction using biaxal and unidirectional glass with vinylester resin on the outer hull layer
- Patented “SCRIMP” resin infusion system moulding process for optimum laminate strength.
- Off-white deck with a high traction non-skid.
- Custom Slate Grey Awlgrip Hull Paint (2014)
- Fore deck and helmsman molded toe rails.
- Large bow locker with laminated watertight forward collision bulkhead.
- Large cockpit storage locker on starboard.
- Propane bottle storage.
- Moulded stern platform with removable swimming ladder.
- Moulded spray shield with dodger storage and companionway instrument pod.
- GRP moulded structural bulkhead bonded to hull and deck.
- All intermediate bulkheads glassed to hull and deck for stiffness.
- Heavy-duty fibreglass floor stringer grid infused into hull, including mast and chain plate structure.
Keel and Rudder:
- Low VCG Keel of cast lead with antimony bolted and bonded to deep molded stub with sump.
- Balanced high aspect spade rudder construction using biaxal and unidirectional glass and large diameter anodised aluminium stock mounted in self-aligning bearings.
- Aluminium wheel with natural leather grip on custom moulded pedestal with compass, brake and stainless guard.
- Emergency tiller.
Spars and Rigging:
- Tapered SPARCRAFT aluminum mast with double airfoil spreaders (2014)
- Continuous Rod rigging (2014)
- Integral hydraulic backstay adjuster.
- Boom with internal outhaul 8:1 purchase system, mainsail reef line sheaves, main sheet and rigid vang tangs.
- Headsail furling system - Harken, 2014
- Retractable carbon fiber bowsprit with seal.
- Solid boom vang with cascade purchase system.
- Complete running rigging package (new halyards, 2014)
Deck Hardware and Equipment:
- Harken 46 Self-tailing primary winches.
- harken 40 Self-tailing halyard winches on cabin top.
- lock-in winch handles (2)
- 2 PVC handle holders.
- Mainsheet purchase with fine tune.
- Adjustable mainsheet traveller with 4:1 purchase led to a cleat on both sides.
- Adjustable genoa and jib tracks with 4:1 car controls led to cleats by coach roof.
- Cockpit foot blocks for genoa sheets.
- Spinnaker sheet blocks on U-bolts.
- Tack block on pad-eye at bowsprit end.
- 5 halyard/reef turning blocks.
- Halyards lead aft through 2 quadruple organizers and 4 rope clutches on each side of companionway.
- Tack line led aft to rope clutch on starboard side of coach roof.
- Bowsprit control line leading to a cam cleat on aft of coach roof bulkhead.
- 2 bow mooring cleats.
- 2 stern mooring cleats.
- Stem head fitting.
- Custom s/s stem plate with tack fitting
- S/S chain plates for shrouds and backstay.
- Foredeck opening hatch (500 x 500) with vent.
- Opening hatch (450 x 320) over main saloon.
- 4 fixed ports (630 x 170) on saloon coach roof sides.
- 2 opening ports (304 x 155) for aft cabin and toilet compartment.
- 1 opening port (350 x 170) in cockpit (aft cabin).
- 1 vent above head area.
- 2 line bags.
- 2 s/s handrails on coach roof.
- S/S pushpit and pulpit.
- Cockpit Hot & Cold water shower
- Double s/s lifelines, 8 stainless stanchions, 4 with reinforcing leg.
- Plexi-glass companionway washboards with lock and ventilation grid.
- Door storage rack in cockpit locker.
- Flag staff holder.
Interior Layout and Finish:
- Large hanging locker on port side, storage on starboard.
- Forward large double v-berth with storage underneath.
- Shelve above berth on port side.
- Access door to saloon (padded storage for racing).
- Optional Wood ceilings on hull sides
- Interior built using wood, laminated or solid. All wooden parts are varnished or laminated with white Formica. Cabin sole in plywood laminated with teak/holly.
- Vinyl lined ceilings throughout
- Wood ceilings on hull sides
- Optional cabinetry and bookshelves
- Settee/berths to starboard and port
- Water tanks under both berths
- Table with drop leafs and bottle storage in the centerline (padded cover for racing).
- Large storage lockers behind backrests.
- S/S hand rail on ceiling.
GALLEY (on port side)
- Gimballed Propane stove with oven and 2 burners.
- S/S double sink.
- Pressurized hot and cold water.
- Large (90 liters) molded icebox/fridge with 12 volt compressor.
- Full length locker outboard of galley countertop.
- Cold molded fiddles around the edge of the countertop.
- Storage under sink with shelf and space for trash bin.
CHART TABLE (on starboard side)
- Large chart table facing forward with:
- Charts storage under table lid
- Locker under chart table
- Vinyl Nav. Seat cushion with backrest
- Large hinged instruments panel, outboard, with electrical panel.
AFT CABIN (on port side)
- Access door to saloon
- Large hanging locker
- Changing seat
- Double berth
- Access panel to engine
- Fuel tank under berth
AFT HEAD (on starboard side)
- Access door to saloon
- Integral 2nd molding for easy maintenance with integral shower tray, sink, access to valves and toilet support shelf.
- Pressurized hot and cold water
- Marine toilet
- Mirror, toilet roll holder and towel rail
- Vanity unit
- Shower grating
- Access door to cockpit storage
- Holding Tank
- White Formica finish for better wear resistance.
- Steps with angled treads between bulkheads.
- Handrails integrated in bulkheads.
- Main engine access through lifting panel.
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit.
- Automatic/manual electric bilge pump with float switch.
- Pressurized water system.
- 1 water tank (96 litres) under starboard berth in saloon, 2nd tank to port.
- Ice box drain
- Marine toilet
- (2) 80 AH house batteries and 70 AH engine start battery with switches and double diode/circuit breaker.
- 12V electric panel with fuel gauge and voltmeter.
- Halogen lights on ceilings and swivelling tulip lights in cabins.
- Ceiling light in head
- Light in cockpit locker
- Navigation lights on pushpit and pulpit, steaming and LED mooring light.
- LED deck lights
- Rig grounded for protection against lightning.
Electronics and Navigation Equipment:
- Ockam Performance Marine Electronics System
- 1 Matrix Display above the Companionway
- 2 Multi-Function Displays above the Companionway
- 4 Multi-Function Displays with Mast Bracket
- Simrad CR44 Chart Plotter / Radar at nav station
- Raymarine Chartplotter at helm (2015)
- Simrad AP 22 Auto-Pilot
- ICOM VHF at Nav Station with remote mic at helm.
- Black Box GPS (2018) for DSC
- AIS Transceiver (2016) Networked to chart plotter at helm.
- Stereo / CD Player
- Battery Voltage Monitor
- 36 Breaker Electrical Panel
Current Racing Sail Inventory for boat PHRF and One-Design Racing.
- 10/14 MN-4 Class Mainsail 3DL 680 (on slugs)
- 11/13 145% 3DL 680 IRC / PHRF APG-4
- 10/12 AP-3 105% Class Headsail
- 02/11 155% 3DL 680 Light #1
- 10/10 MN-3 Class Mainsail 3DL 680 (Spare)
- 08/10 PHRF Asymmetric Code 2A , 120 sq mtrs, Airex 600 0.5 oz.
- 09/09 AP-1 105% Class Headsail
- 09/07 Class Asymmetric Code 2A, Norlite 60
- ? Class reaching Asymetric, (high wind)
- Older Sails Included
- Mainsail Cover
- Wheel Cover
- Instrument Covers
- Lifeline Covers
- Cockpit Cushions
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.